The Tuvalu Philatelic Bureau and the Government of Tuvalu wishes to advise all
collectors that the following stamps or overprints on genuine stamps were
produced without the authorization of the government of Tuvalu. Most of these
have been seen on internet auction venues, such as eBay and Yahoo. Some of the
illustrations are not clear, and hopefully better ones will be found.
- In 2010, a seller called Barcik has been selling fake Tuvalu stamps on the auction venue Decampe.com, featuring Diana, airplanes and ships. These stamps are inscribed with the date "2009". They are illegal stamps, NOT authourized by the government of Tuvalu. More information to follow. Here are a couple of samples.
- CAPEX 78 and various other overprints on the 1986 Thematic Events
(Chess and Rotary) souvenir sheets. No overprints were authorized for this
issue. All in existence are fakes, some are shown below. Others do exist.
- 1999 Moon Landing issue, overprinted in red "Columbia Memorial" is
fake. No overprints were produced for this issue. Imperforate forgeries, with
and without the overprint are purported to exist.
- 2002(?) Columbia Memorial: This stamp was not authorized by Tuvalu.
More values may exist in the "set". The reported example is imperforate. More
information is requested.
- 2002 Elvis Presley: Tuvalu has issued many Elvis stamps, but the one shown below is fake, it was not produced by Tuvalu, and is an illegal stamp. Click here to see the genuine Elvis Presley stamps of Tuvalu.
- 1992 "Philatelic Bureau" postmark, seen cancelling demonetized
"Leaders of the World" stamps, in an attempt to produce genuine-looking kiloware.
The group of LOW "cancelled" stamps shown here was seen on eBay in late 2002.
The vendor was asked
to provide a close-up of the postmark but did not comply. Careful examination
seems to indicates that the postmark is similar to the rendition below. A
similar but quite different cancel that was used by the Philatelic Bureau in
1980 for a short period of time is shown for comparison.
This kiloware is not genuine and is believed to have been artificially created
in England. In addition to the postmark being fake, the dates of the cancels are
all various months of 1990. However, all LOW stamps were demonetized in 1989,
after millions of remainders were dumped onto the market when the Consultants
went into receivership.
Fake cancels inscribed Nukufetau and Niutao
- 1986 (or later) Statue of Liberty 18 different stamps. Ten are
horizontal in format, eight are vertical. Some are illustrated below, thanks to
Herbert Chamberlain. They are quite different than the genuine Thematic Issue
souvenir sheets of 1986. They have been reported for sale on eBay.
- 1996 10th Asian International Philatelic Exhibition
A gold overprint has been seen applied in the margin of the genuine 1996
Year of the Rat souvenir sheet, as seen below. This overprint was not authorized
by the Tuvalu Philatelic Bureau.
- 1996 10th Asian International Philatelic Exhibition (different, below))
- 1996 Phila Seoul
- 1988 Olympics inscribed Vaitupu. 70c value seen so far.
- 1988 Olympics from various islands (Nukufetau shown)
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has information on any of the
above items, or other items of question being offered as genuine
philatelic products of Tuvalu. Any additional images would be appreciated.
Tuvalu Philatelic Bureau